I left off by saying that the needs of the company had expanded some what as had the needs of individual development teams. My team was slightly different to the main production and new build teams. The work and code we produced was made to facilitate the development of the applications we offered to our customers. So for us, there was very little in the way of UI development etc. The code that my team developed was primarily to support the rest of the development teams, enabling them to get a birds eye view of development at any one time and across all projects. We didn't just restrict this to management, it would be a bit daft to do that. Pre CI, we often heard the following complaint "we just do not know what is happening". In the build team we were responsible for maintaining all of the build and test environments, infrastructure took care of the guts of them and we maintained the environment based on a development teams specification.
So, to start developing version 2.0 of the CI system, we need to appraise a few new things. First up was our SCM tool. Our current tool was just not geared up to what we wanted it to do. We had been using the same tool for quite some time prior to me joining the company, it was fine in the pre-.Net days where there was only one customer, but as the company grew we needed to get something a little more robust, extensible and modern in. So, one of the first things we did was move away from Surround as our SCM. There were a number of options available to us at this point in time. Team Foundation Server could cater for us at version 1.0, it had a SCM system, it could carry out builds on more than one server etc. The only trouble with it was that it was v1.0 software, even though it was a production release, it was a pain to get it to work. Thankfully, the head of development had looked into this issue quite some time ago with a view to migrating from Surround to a newer tool. His initial efforts at the time met with apathy - there was no need for a new tool as the one they had was fine. So, when the time came the head of development pointed me in the direction of a package called Accurev. By this point in time, I had been made up to the head of deployment and testing, my main aim here was to get a complete CI system, from build to testing logic, to deployment to an environment and then further testing (UI stuff, this was a web app). I took a look at Accurev and liked it pretty much straight away. It was a very modern tool, it allowed you to work under the Agile umbrella of software development and allowed my team to quickly configure code and builds whilst at the same time gave the releasers time to make sure the code we were about to release was the correct code (there was a time prior to Accurev that code hadn't been checked in or re-based properly).
To fit into our CI system, all we needed to do was to create a number of NAnt tasks to work with Accurev, these were nice little tasks to make sure that the code was being updated on the build server. Integrating Accurev, Cruisecontrol.Net, NAnt was pretty simple in the long run, and it let management chill out when we were able to demonstrate how a fairly significant migration could take place with out a lot of drama.
With our new SCM in place and all the developers and other people who needed access to code trained up on how to use it, we were ready for take-off. Took a weekend to export the code we needed from our old SCM into our new one. It didn't take long to script the whole event, but did take a while to get the code from a to b. Once it was done, we were ready. We had a nice new shiny SCM that everyone knew how to work and we were ready to re task the deployment/release team into a new method of CI.
Of course, there were some hiccups along the way. I think the scariest one we had was just after migration, one of my colleagues accidentally deleted some very important code a few days in-front of a major release. bit of panic at the beginning, but we sorted out a major catastrophe fairly quickly. One of the good things that Accurev offers is the fact that it never, ever forgets code. It actually stores all your code ad infinitum, so a quick look through the manual and we were able to bring back all the code we needed after a few bits of code on the command line.
With this migration complete, we were only a few steps away from providing a major update to our CI system.